DOWNLOAD THESE NOTES IN PDF FORMAT
What is a map?
· A map is a representation of earth's surface.
· A map shows us where the places and things are.
· It can be drawn on paper
Define Lines of Latitude and Lines of Longitude.
· Lines of Latitude are drawn around the globe at equal distance parallel to the equator.
· Lines of Longitude are drawn down from North Pole to South Pole.
Draw Conventional Signs for a) Motorway Road and b) Railway Line.
What is a Contour?
· A Contour is a line drawn to join points of equal height above sea level.
· They are drawn at regular intervals.
· The closer lines show steeper slopes.
· The farther lines show gentle slopes.
What are the basic Directions? Give the degree of each on the circular Compass?
· Basic directions are East, West, North and South.
· Following are the degrees to show directions.
o North = 0 degree
o East = 90 degree
o South = 180 degree
o West = 270 degree
Give the relationship between Longitude and Time.
· The Sun's position at noon is at its highest angle.
· All places along a line of longitude experience noon at the same time.
· To the west is earlier than noon; to the east, it is later.
What do you know about Symbols on a Map?
· Maps give details of features using certain Symbols.
· The symbols enable you to quickly know the features and places on the maps.